Saturday, January 20, 2007

Pre-school

Toured 2 pre-schools near our new home. The 1st one looks a bit run down although they are less than 6 months old but the kids looked quite happy there. (Fees: $475 after subsidy)

The 2nd one was more organised, students were uniformed & well behaved and there was a waiting list. (Fees: $425 after subsidy) The lady asked, "Full day"? I told her no and that I was only thinking of putting you in for half day. She was quick to add that that's okay for your age but come next year, it will have to be full day. I asked, "Why?". "Oh, we follow MOE curriculum. We need a full day to finish the syllables. I wanted to laugh at her face! She must have seen my expression because she quickly added, "That's why our students do very well when they go to Primary 1!" I started laughing then.

Was telling my Ang Moh colleague some time back that I'm so put off by the word curriculum. It's ridiculous! At what other age can you pee in your pants and have fun? I was ranting on how impossible it is to find a playschool that does not emphasize on academics. To which he said this, "If you don't play, than how do you know that it is fun?" I feel my cause is vindicated.

I refuse to push you through a system that gets you so lost at the end. So what if you have a degree but do not enjoy the quest for knowledge?

No comments: