Saturday, January 13, 2007

1 ounce = 28.349527 grams

Boy still phlegmy... decided to make some pear soup with chuan bei.

Your Papa and I split up. Him to buy the pears at NTUC and me to buy the chuan bei at the medicinal hall. I carried you, because we forgot to put you in shoes. So, what I got was one very squirmy independant toddler who was obviously not too happy being carried, on my hips.

Nice lady: You want the $5 one or the $14 one?
Me: Eh... $14 one and can you split that up for me?
Nice lady: Sure!

Couple of seconds later, she has already measured out 1 ounce and was apportioning them into individual packets. She lifted up the first packet from behind the counter to show it to me. I lean closer to take a look because it looks like twice the normal amount I would have put into your soup.

Big mistake.

The squirmy independant toddler found something interesting. A jar. A glass jar. A glass jar full of bird's nest. A glass jar full of bird's nest that costs $150. A glass jar full of bird's nest that costs $150 an ounce. A glass jar full of bird's nest that costs $150 an ounce within reach.

I hear a gasp. A loud gasp. Maybe it was even a scream. Who's to tell? My memory has since left me.

About a nanosecond after 'THE GASP', something breaks near my right leg. The culprit was on my right hip. I flinched...and looked. It's a jar. It's a glass jar! It's a glass jar full of bird's nest!! It's a glass jar full of bird's nest that costs $150!!! It's a glass jar full of bird's nest that costs $150 an ounce!!!!!!!!

Everyone's in shock.

The nice lady was not nice anymore.

...later, much later, in the car, on the way home, I told the boy, "Do you know, in some countries, some parents sell their kids into slavery for just US$1?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mum makes almond drink for A sometimes for cough. The pear soup sometimes swopped with apple soup instead.

Searched parenting forum where cough/ bronchitis/ asthma remedies discussed:
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/36738/345640.html

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/353635/535187.html

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/36738/403664.html

- Mel (having problem commenting leh)