Monday, September 24, 2007

Lesson #1 - Break it!

It's a group lesson. So 6 kids, 7 parents and a teacher squeezed into a small room for the session. Anyway, lesson #1 was all about getting the right-sized violin for the kid and teaching the parent how to stand and hold the violin correctly.

So the kid himself got bored. He walked around the tiny room, rather aimlessly, then asked repeatedly for his own instrument, played with the bow, swung it around a few times, leaned on it and ... broke it.

The other parents gasps while all I did was sigh and asked the teacher if he had a spare. He did. A spare new one and I had to pay $32.10 for it.

If I were not a parent, I would have thought me a bad parent for that kind of non-reaction.

My only excuse is that dragging him to class with my bag, his bag, my violin case, his violin case from home to town is too consuming and I don't have any more energy left for dispensing on discipline. And oh! Screaming at him in class or smacking him in the behind wouldn't help him learn the instrument will it?

Looking forward to next week.

Wondering what else he'd break.

*sigh*

No comments: