Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The genetics of time.

The Big One has an issue with my lack of timeliness. This issue keeps popping up again and again, the latest saga being my not bringing the Small One on time to school, thereby planting the habit or concept that being late is ok.

??? I totally resent his accusation. But then again, I had no real defense, since he hasn't really grown up yet and therefore it cannot be proven whether he would eventually be as oblivious to time as I am. It's upsetting. How is it that however hard I try, I always end up being late, sometimes by up to an hour?

Suddenly it struck me! I have no time intelligence. That's it! Howard Gardner, who conceived the Multiple Intelligence theory - which are seven different ways to demonstrate intellectual ability (i) visual/spatial (ii) verbal/linguistic (iii) logical/mathematical (iv) bodily/kinesthetic (v) musical/rhythmic (vi) interpersonal and (vii) intrapersonal - has missed out one - Time Intelligence!

I don't have a sense of how much time it will take me to get from point A or point B. Or if I took a shower, how much time I will take ? 20minutes or 37 minutes? Or if I wanted to get out of the house, I should allow myself 2 minutes wear my shoes and lock the door or 5 extra minutes in case I can't find the keys etc. Or if the journey to work takes me 25 minutes and that if there are 8 minutes to go before my meeting time and I am somewhere along the way, whether or not I can still make on time. Usually not, because I tend to forget I do need to set aside time to find parking, take the lift etc… See? I get it wrong. ALL THE TIME!

Time intelligence. Is it genetic? If it is, then that could explain why my parents didn't turn up for my concert performance until hours after, or pick me up from school only way after everyone else has gone home, or serve lunch at 3pm or how during a recent wedding dinner, they told me they had were leaving the house when I called to check at 6pm, only to arrive 2 hours later?

If it is indeed, then my dear boy, based on genetic probabilities, you have about 50% chance of catching the disorder, regardless of whether or not I got you to school on time. I really hope and pray you don't, else you'd get into Big trouble with the verbal/linguistic-intelligence-challenged One.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

eh? I'm already suffering from it. Is it because I have been around you too much? hmm...