Monday, June 29, 2009

What is it?

Lately, I've been thinking about this "LOC / Lost of consciousness" episode.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been meditating on (almost) a daily basis. The thing is, I'm suppose to lose my body and mind, watch my thoughts and hopefully in the process, get acquainted with 'the watcher'.

Now, if I want to use that fainting episode as a benchmark, then I need to be clear what happened. >>>

While I had no control over the shut down, I remember that in between the point when I realized I was propped up and not standing with my own legs till the time I was hauled to the car, I was actually conscious of what was happening. But at the same time, this consciousness was not accompanied by the body, nor was it accompanied by a thinking head.

I was just aware of what was happening. I had no control over the body, which I don't seem to know I had, nor was I wondering (with the mind) why I was being hauled by 2 people.

If my mind was working, it would have gone, "Oh shit! Not again!" But it wasn't... and so I didn't relate or make sense of what was happening.

If the body was mine, then the excruciating pain in my back should have been felt, but neither body nor pain was available to me then.

After a while, things did come back to me and the mind was the first to arrive. (Maybe that's tougher one to rid of?) But, I remember I felt like my brain had been washed and polished - the kind of feeling you get once in a blue moon when you wake up from your sleep with exactly the amount of rest that you needed... not one bit more or less, but exactly enough so that you feel extremely refreshed and alert.

Next was the body and similarly, it felt very rested and very new - good enough for the mind to be cheated into thinking that all's well.

Followed shortly, by the wretched nerves which came back to light me with their pain again.

So there, that was what happened and plausibly the only time I was conscious without body or mind...

... and if only I can achieve that state again during my meditation....

Someone hit my head!!!

1 comment:

Nithya Priyan said...

WOW nice!

From a Catholic upbringing I have heard of similar incidents and they are regarded as being deeply spiritual events, but I guess you already know! Through a feeling of deep surrender at the altar a person loses control of his/ her body and looks like loss of consciousness, except the person is still in awareness.. my mom had a similar experience in the past.

I have longed to have a conscious death experience since hearing Ramanai Maharishi's recount as well as our Swamiji's. My time will come I am sure!

Thank you for sharing an inspiring experience!