Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Mind Games

Went swimming today. I haven't swam for more than a month. Used to swim 3 times a week when I was in uni, then this slowly dropped to once every week when you were in my tummy. I remember I could still do 8 - 12 laps @ 39 weeks. Nowadays, it would be an achievement to swim 8 laps once a month!

I decided it was high time I picked it up again, before I have to buy myself a new swimsuit. Again. At my age, I shouldn't be buying myself new suits every year. I.e I shouldn't be growing anymore! So, 20 laps was my target but I didn't think I could do it.

Then I had an idea. Instead of counting each lap I swam, I'm going to count down instead. So the more I swam, the less I had to swim. It's bizarre. Somehow, my brain liked the idea of only 6 more laps left rather than 14 done, 6 more to go. It's like the half glass of water - Is it half empty or half full? Quite nincompoopish.

Took me so many years to figure this one out. But it got me there. I finished the 20 laps in 25 minutes and did another 4 more to cool down. Was amazed and in high spirits! The 2 white strands (never found 2 at one go before) discovered while blow drying my hair didn't even bother me later.

Anyway, lesson to learn. Good to set targets. Better if you can figure out how get there before taking the first plunge and even more better if you can stick to it.

Psst...the twin antagonists have been eliminated!

No comments: