Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Werner's Oven

Popped over there for dinner today, with the boy. Haven't been here in ages... think the last time was when the boy was still feeding on ... me ?!! (".)

Digress... bumped into another mom who didn't have to go to work today and we had a morning cuppa together. Gossiping mostly about the school. Same dilemma we had. Our kids were HAPPY in that school, but they don't seem to be learning very much there. i.e still cannot read, still cannot spell. That said, neither of us had sent our kids to any extra "I can read" lessons. I kept thinking now's not the time to worry about it, till another mom showed me a Primary 1 Maths question > Tom has six sweets and shares them equally with his two friends. How many sweets does each of them get? > I would have failed this by the way, thinking the answer was 3? No. 2. Because it was "shared equally".. and so I shared this 'problem' with the mom and she was happily telling me how to arrive at the answer till I exclaimed, "BUT THEY HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO READ FIRST!!!!"

Anyway, back to Werner's Oven. Boy was given a Kid's Menu (Kinderkarte). He made me go through the list with him... then decided what he wanted. Surprise surprise!!!... when the waiter came, the boy pointed to item number 3, underlined the words with his fingers and read slowly, "PORK SAUSAGE SERVED WITH ....*pause* (waiter waited.......) FRIES!" . Drink? MILK and Ice-cream flavour? CHOCOLATE.

Ok... so now I realized he can read some. Plus, he wanted to share "HALF" my buttered roll. Right... some mathematical concept there? Except really, I didn't have the heart to point out that the "HALF" he took was the BIGGER 'half' ?

He ate well and when he was done, he requested for the ice-cream. Since he had been so brave and fantastic throughout dinner, I told him so and asked him to request for an extra spoon, for me to share his ice-cream with.

He shook his head.

And then I thought, what reading? what writing? He'd be fine!

1 comment:

chime said...

Heh... he has been secretly training. I hope he still remembers how to spell butterfly? :p