Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Uniform

Definition of UNIFORM
taken from http://www.dictionary.com/

–adjective
1. identical or consistent, as from example to example, place to place, or moment to moment: uniform spelling; a uniform building code.
2. without variations in detail: uniform output; a uniform surface.
3. constant; unvarying; undeviating: uniform kindness; uniform velocity.
4. constituting part of a uniform: to be issued uniform shoes.
5. Mathematics. occurring in a manner independent of some variable, parameter, function, etc.: a uniform bound.

–noun
6. an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given profession, organization, or rank.
7. a word used in communications to represent the letter U.

–verb (used with object)
8. to make uniform or standard.
9. to clothe in or furnish with a uniform.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Received a letter from the boy's school, informing us that they were pleased to announce their much anticipated school uniform that from 2010, all kids will be required to wear the uniform to school and that it can be purchased for $25/set and that parents should order by 12th October.

That was yesterday. The teacher called, asking me the status of my order.
I told her I wasn't going to order any. My reasons:
- One of the reasons why I choose this school was because they didn't dress their kids up in uniform.
- That I don't agree that this is training for Primary 1 because nobody needs to learn how to wear uniforms. ( apparently this reason was given to my father)
- That it doesn't help the kid learn better or worse - there is no benefit from being in uniform.
- He has only 1 more year to go. It is a waste for us to get enough sets of uniform just so it can be used for 1 year.

I suggested:
(a) I will get 1 set if it's for the purpose of better identifying the kids when they go out for excursions.
(b) That they consider phasing in this exercise.

The principal/owner called me today, saying that she has received my feedback. She said that there was no benefit to them embarking on this exercise to dress kids up in their school uniform and that it was on requests of parents.
- I told her I have never requested for it, was never ever informed about these requests by other parents, nor ever surveyed about it. Finally, that I do not agree to it, repeated my reasons. ( see above)
She said it was not possible to phase it. They cannot do that and ask that I purchase 1 or 2 sets of uniform.
- I told her I don't do laundry every day, nor every other day.
She said to get 4 sets then.
- Again I told her I do not see a good reason for having uniforms in the first place, that I have been supportive of their initiatives all along over these past years and finally, that she should consider the phasing-in suggestion.
She said it was not possible.
- I told her I see her point and hope she sees mine and then ended the conversation politely.

No comments: