Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Response time

Was having a coffee with my boss when all of a sudden, we hear the glass door behind us SLAM open. Man ran out, followed by the barista, followed by the lady from the pushcart stall. She was screaming "THIEF! CATCH THE THIEF!". Man was cornered by the barista and desperate, threw the loot at him and made a dash for it. Barista caught the man and in the struggle, I saw the man dig something out of his pocket. I went, "Oh Shit!" and the man started making stabs at the barista with that something from his pocket. I went, "Oh Shit! He's stabbing him with a knife!" The world's bravest barista continue to struggle with the man and managed press him down onto the floor. Some bystanders help with holding him down. It was drizzling. A couple of building security guards came by long minutes later and started radio-ing for the police. They examine the man on barrista and the man on the ground. Soon, more building security guards came by, and one, I assume was the 'supervisor', sauntered towards the scene and even made sure he walked under the walkway to avoid the by now heavier drizzle. Man was still struggling some. The barista at one point screamed into his ear, "LIE DOWN! LIE DOWN NOW!!!!!!!!" A photographer started snapping pictures. She took photos from all angles... More minutes passed. She finally had all the photos she needed - and asked for an umbrella for the barista. Barista's colleague came out with the brolly and some cable ties. The barista tried to get it onto the man's hands...he struggled, more groans and screaming and then I saw the photographer asking the barista's colleague to move aside so that she can take more pictures!?! 3 dozen people are now watching. Waiting, for the police to arrive. Where are they? Wow. We continue watching, my boss and I. He muttered, "Fucking useless police!". I had to agree. This is waayyy too long a reasonable response time. More security personnel arrived and even more people gathered to watch. Eventually, some many more long minutes later, the police arrived. One skinny policeman. He handcuffed the guy and then waited some more for backup. Barrista still helping to press down the man. Another skinny policeman came and they led him away. Our brave and very drenched barista quietly went back to his work. People started leaving. The loot, together with the man's glasses and the weapon lay lying on the floor. I asked the barrista what the guy had and whether he was hurt. There were some scratches on his neck. He said, "Screwdriver". *I shuddered*. My boss and I, we left. On the way through the building, we saw paramedics with a stretcher arriving. My boss and I, we looked at each other and started laughing.

I've always imagine myself living in a very safe city and should any one need to call the police, that they would arrive within 3 minutes flat...or 5 minutes at the very most.

That imagination of mine has been totally shattered.

Safety net? Removed.

Thank god for the brave citizens who walk amongst us. They are few and far between and I hope that we are blessed enough to meet these godsent souls at our moment of need.

Other notes:
I have been tested on a few occasions - and it's aways turns up " bystander-positive". My DNA leans towards flight rather than fight. The Big One is more of a fight rather than flight composite. Therefore, whenever we 'quarrel', I tend to leave the scene, leaving him alone to fight with nobody. Frustrating for him I suppose.

No comments: