Monday, September 29, 2008

What do you do?

For a recent while now, when people ask me that question, "What do you do?" I find myself in a fix as to how to respond.

Obviously the question is really "What kind of work I do, which company I work for." Maybe they genuinely want to know but I bet you all, the real reason is so as to be able to rank or 'social-classify' (if there's such a phrase) me so that they can speak to me appropriately as begets my "status".

I don't like that.

The last few times I've been asked that question, I asked them back, "What do you mean?" and then they have to explain it to me. And when they do, I laugh and tell them.

And they usually go, "Oh!" And talk to me carefully henceforth, like how you would speak to an idiot.

I quite like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of people know this. For many years, when someone comes to me in passing and goes, "Hi, how are you"?, they have to be prepared for a monologue of at least ten minutes from me.

This way, over time, only people who really want to know how I am will ask.

Anonymous said...

I get "what do you do?", often followed by
1. "oh it's sooo nice to be one!" or,
2. "oh you don't work???", or,
3. "so when are you getting back to work?".

On lucky-toto-days I get, "that's great!".

:/ Mel