Monday, September 22, 2008

Negative Enrichment

I googled "negative enrichment" to find out if those 2 words put together had any real meaning. Well, it's a medical terminology apparently. I still can't figure out exactly what it means though. Maybe someday I will. But right now, there's nothing scientific about what I'm going to write here.

I put those 2 words together because it pretty sums up what I think about 'enrichment' classes for kids. It is possible to be negatively enriched? I don't know.

But here's my observation. 45 minutes of gym classes doesn't make a child more agile that he would have been if left to his own devices at the playground. 45 minutes of flash cards gives the child the knowledge of words but doesn't help him decipher its meaning.

Also, this is not proven, but it's logical I guess. Since time is limited, the more time you spend caged up in a classroom environment, the less engaged you are with the natural environment. And isn't this disengagement with nature precisely what is driving consumerism and sadly, the destruction that comes along with it?

I suspect that the only one that is enriched by these classes are the proprietors. At an average rate of $35 multiplied by a dozen, every 45 minutes, sustained by guilt, peer-pressure or maybe fear?

Who doesn't want to have a kid that is smarter, cleverer and more able than this counterparts?

But what's the real deal here my friends?

1 comment:

M said...

45min of gym class benefits my girl more than 3hrs at the playground on her own.

There are simply some things she is reluctant to try out on her own, unless she sees a teacher demonstrating it, and a whole class of peers doing it.

I do see a difference in my kid after she attended gym, maybe not "more agile" but certainly more willing to walk on a balancing beam at least. And try out stuff she otherwise wouldn't want to. It doesn't matter to me if it doesn't work the same way for others' kids. :)

Every kid is different.