Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Not knowing what you want ...

....will not get you what you want!

Case study:
A: Are you able to help me beautify this?
B: What do you mean by 'beautify'?
A: You know, make it nice?
B: Right, so how do you want me to make it nice?
A: Can you do it?
B: I might be able to, if I know exactly what you want.
A: So you are not the person I should speak to for these things?
B: I might be able to do it, but I need to know what you mean by 'making it nicer' before I can tell you whether I can do it or not.
A: So do we have a department in our office that can help us do this?
B: Do what?
A: Make this better.
B: Can you give me some examples on what you mean by making it better?
A: So you can't do it? How about the other department?
B: I don't know if I can do it unless I know exactly what you need and I don't know if the other department can do it either because I don't know what you need them to do!
A: Why don't you speak to them?
B: Speak to them?
A: Yes.
B: Why?
A: Ask them if they can do it!
B: Do what?
A: Make it nicer.
B: No!
A: Why not?

At this point, B, aka me, floats away....

No comments: