Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cafe run by robots

I didn't know that this salad place I go to - quite frequently now that I'm a grass-eater - had a staff who is actually a robot! This robot looked so human-like! So advanced was this robot that it could interact with customers exactly like a human being! It can take your order, give you the correct change and even deliver food to your table through its face-recognition software. When you are done, it'd say, "Thank you!", flash a nice smile and clear away your tray. It was so flawlessly human and unique, I could have never guessed it's true nature if it wasn't for what occurred today.

My colleague choked on his food. Face turn red. I rush to get a glass of water for him....

Me: Can I have a glass of water please?
Robot: No. We don't serve water here.
Me: How about just half a glass?
Robot: No. We don't serve water here.
Me: Someone's choking. Can I have a glass of water?
Robot: No. We don't serve water here.
Me: *incredulous by now* Can't I just have some water? Tap water?
Robot: No. We don't serve water here.
Me: *quite loudly now* LOOK! Someone's choking! CAN I HAVE SOME WATER!!!!???!!!!"

Thank God the human owner, possibly alerted to the short circuit signal, came by and gave me a glass of water.
Will I eat there again?
>>> Not when I know that that darn robot would watch me choke to death!

4 comments:

michelle-cindy's mummy-got yr address through mel's blog said...

wow, this place sounds fun!
is it in Singapore? what's the name of the cafe?

Carrie said...

Hahhaa... I was being mean so I don't think it's quite fair to reveal their shortcoming by telling the world their name. (",)

M said...

I can't tell whether u mean a real robot or a human who acts like a robot. I swear some human wait-staff will give the same replies!

michelle said...

ooooops!!
i finally got what you meant!! blur me....:p
i must have watched too much drama, esp the recent robot boyfriend one...hahahaha