Monday, June 09, 2008

Random Rage in Tokyo.... 7 killed.

Excerpt taken from an article reporting the same on Reuters...

"Japan has entered a period of selfishness. People have the feeling that they can do anything," said Jinsuke Kageyama, a criminal psychologist at Tokyo Institute of Technology.

"But when these people fail to fulfill themselves in socially acceptable ways, they are treated as losers and their frustration builds up," he added. "A series of disappointments can lead them to try to regain their sense of self through crime."

Kageyama blamed Japan's obsession with exam grades for making many feel like failures, and said the decline of the extended family was one factor cutting support for troubled youngsters.

Tackling the root causes of such attacks would be a complex task, and harsher penalties would likely not be helpful, he said


This is a war waged by a single person upon the society he lives in. Think how more horrible it is to have societies wage war against each other. Yet, it is these single acts of selfish rage that shocks us more. Why? Is the agenda of one less permissible or more selfish than that of a group?

Do we despise losers? Do you? Do I? Why?

( Sidetrack: I was always happy to point out to my parents that so and so did worse than me. And when I did end up last in class, I didn't hesitate to point out that I wasn't last in the standard.)

Regaining self through crime? Come on, who really knows what self is? Looking back, my 20's was of hope. 30's now is simply one big struggle to become. I think maybe at 40, I'd finally know for sure.

Extended family support. Hmm.... who's really reponsible for the decline?

Hasher penalties not likely to be helpful. ( If you had a child, you'd agree) But what then?

I've been to Akihabara, the place where the stabbings took place, and had bought hair curlers there. Perhaps if I hadn't, I would have just read the headlines and note, 7 killed. No relevance to me whatsoever. Am I selfish? er.......Yes?

One thing for sure. I'm definitely scared of the possibility of me or anyone I know/love being killed one day simply by just being in the path of a more selfish person. Worse, whilst buying something stupid like hair curlers.

No comments: