Friday, June 13, 2008

Hot Job

(Part 1) Hot Job
Tissue peddlers! Don't you think there's a lot of them around nowadays? It used to be a partnership business and one of them had to be blind but not anymore my friends, they are everywhere now! I'm petty sure they'll invade bus-stops and mrt stations next!

(Part 2) Tissue Peddler
So this lady came to us and I bought some. Whilst eating, she came back again and my mother politely told her we've bought some from her already. 15 minutes later, she came back yet again and this time, my mother picked up the proof, showed it to her and said, a tat impatiently, Look! We bought from you already! The lady responded, "The other guy also sells this type of tissues" and walked away. I burst out laughing before my mother could give her retort.

(Part 3) Rejected Offer
Which reminds me of this Teochew man in the hawker centre last week. (I seemed to be spending way too much time in hawker centres) This man was probably in his forties and must have been undernourished as a child. His teeth was really bad. A couple had fallen off already and the ones he still had were yellow and pointy. He was sipping his soya bean drink when along came the elderly owner of the soya bean drink stall, a fellow Teochew man. The old man advised the 'young man' to do something with his time, like (what else?) sell tissues! The man prompty rejected, saying, "Look! The auntie who used to come round? she's not here anymore! She's been taken away by the authorities for selling tissues! Better not sell tissues, wait get taken away. I don't want to be taken away!"

(Part 4) Inconclusive
The majority of tissue sellers I'm sure didn't elect to sell tissues in order to make a living. But if you have been to other parts of Asia, you'd notice that there are a lot more 'career' opportunities for these people in those countries than it is here in Singapore. I'm not sure if it's due to people being 'hungrier' or the governments there being less 'sophisticated'.

(Part 5) Scene from the past
This image of an old lady I saw years ago, on the streets of Hanoi, with less than a kilo worth of strawberries (most likely home grown), squatting under a bulb that runs on electricity she's tapped (illegally) just struck me as ... entrepreneurial.

(Part 6) Limitations
The same opportunities doesn't exist here for people that falls off the sides. First, you dont' have any land on which to grow things on. Second, there's no free electricity to tap from and lastly, you need a license before you can hawk anything, anywhere.

(Part 7) End
What am I doing, writing all this s**t whilst sitting on a cushioned seat in an air-conditioned room? Why do I freaking care about tissue sellers?

No comments: