Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A warm smile and a dollar

There are 3 security guards who take turns 'manning' the lifts where I work and everyday I am amazed at how they would smile, greet and hold the lift door open for the people working in this building. Basically, before I get to work, I'm already thinking about it and so, I never fail to appear at the lift lobby looking like the whole world owes me a living but yet, these people, they smile so warmly at you each and every time. Regardless. It's these human smiles that wakes me up from my own little world of selfish self existence.

Then, on the other spectrum of existence, there's this >> I realized, on the way out to lunch today that I had NO CASH with me. But fortunately, I had my bank card with me so I went looking for a UOB cash machine. These things are not easy to find. I think DBS cash machines outnumbers UOB cash machines by 10 to 1. Anyway, so there I was, grouchy under the hot sun, hungry and walking already for 20 minutes when this person walks up to me and asks, " Xiao Jie, Ni You Mei You Yi Kwai Qian, Wo Yao Ta Che!" (Miss, do you have a dollar? I want to take the bus!" I'm like, "No. I don't have a dollar!" She cursed at me and walked away. I'm like " WHAT THE F**K!???!?"Almost threw my heels at her!

Anyway, here's the point to this rant - some people make you feel better than others and also that you reap what you sow. A smile for a smile and a curse for a heel sticking out of your back??

So, everybody out there, better stay happy!!! It's safer.

No comments: