Monday, December 13, 2010

He did.

They had an Arts competition in school. He could submit a drawing or play the piano... or any other instrument. His drawings are .... nicely terrible. He just started learning the piano and have not yet progressed beyond playing the C-major scale. So, I suggested he play a piece on his violin. He wanted to play '童话' and I was fine with whatever he prefers.

But his violin teacher wasn't and wanted him to play "春天来了" & "茉莉花" instead. I thought the competition proper was to happen later this month so we all thought there would be plenty of time for him to prep. But no. I received a notification on a Monday that he is to bring his violin to school that Wednesday for the competition.

Right, out the window went the 2 pieces he was to prepare. He practiced his '童话' about 20X that Tuesday evening and went to school with his violin the next day. I took some time off to go to his school to play the piano part. 

While we were rehearsing, a teacher walked in... I did not know he was going to be the judge. So I was unprepared when he closed the door and said, "Let's start!".

Was quite disheartened. Since the Judge had already heard most of it. The whole thing was not quite what I had pictured in my mind.

The boy played his piece (again). But this time, the kids who were shut out of the room started jumping up and down outside, trying their darnest to peep in through the window...and he was very distracted by them, giggling at one point while playing his violin and eventually forgetting which line he was on midway through... Horrors!!! I continued the accompaniment solo while urging him to come back in at the next section. ... he gave up and put his violin down... the Judge encouraged him to continue. He did eventually.

This was not my idea of a reasonable/ fair/ ok performance and so I didn't think more of it.

Until this morning, when I was notified to send his teacher a photo of him because he had won a prize in the competition.

He won what?!?

No comments: