Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Blogs

Was telling a friend of mine the other day that I have a blog and that it was about you. She commented that if it was about you, then shouldn't it be something private and that I should write it in a diary and keep it at home instead. Not put it all out in the open for the world to see. I guess she meant it was like parading yourself naked in public and enjoying their view.

I wonder if by the time you grow up, what kind of technology you'd be using. Your Porpor tells me that we didn't have a private home phone till I was about 2 or 3 years old. She tells me it was a big deal then to have a color TV at home as well. Our first computer in 1983 costs your Gonggong S$5K which was a small fortune, considering the 4-room flat he bought in 1974 only costs S$22K. Emails and Web didn't feature in my life until I was in the University. I didn't owned a mobile phone until your dad bought me one in 1998. 3G networks are less than a year old in Singapore. DVD home recorders are becoming ubiquitous only now.

So, back to diaries and blogs. I don't even know if by the time you grow up whether blogs will be around anymore or whether you'd get to read this at all.

For now, I appreciate not having to carve words in stone which i imagine would be painstakinlgy difficult. Blogs are the easiest and most convenient way to record my thoughts at the moment. I can access this site from almost anywhere, anytime, with or without my IBM T41 laptop. I can even add pictures, photos taken digitally with my 5.1mpix Sony Cybershot camera or Nokia N90 mobile phone wtih a 2mpix camera! ..... hopefully in the very near future, i can add some video clips as well?

No comments: