Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Inflation

When we first settled in at our new place in Shanghai, a rou bao (meat bun) from DaNiang round the corner costs RMB1.50. The price went up to RMB2 after Chinese New Year. Now, it costs RMB2.50. Price went up 67%.

Bus fare 8 months ago was RMB1. Now, it's RMB2. Double.

And I found out today, that the pork floss bun from BreadTalk went up by RMB1. Up 17%.

I'm not too concerned (yet) because I don't spend a huge chunk of my salary on food and am really fortunate to not have to think about the 'cost of meal' when deciding what and where I want to eat. Plus, it's still a better deal because I don't think we can find a 50cents bao in Singapore anymore right? The cheapest bao I recall is the vege bao, which was my fav snack, which costs 45cents at the science fac canteen in NUS...eh, about .... gosh... many donkey years ago. 40 cents won't get us anywhere on public transport... and at $1.40, that pork floss bun is still cheaper than the same one at home.

But it was a case it point when my mom urged me to save more because the value of the Chinese Yuan will double in 10 years. I told her about the buns and how much that money will actually be worth in 10 years time. It'll keep her off my account for a while...

Meanwhile... Pizza anybody?

No comments: