Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Genealogy

Was fooling around with my lunch - a focaccia bread sandwich with avocadoes, mozarella, eggplant, grilled chicken, tomatoes and french onions - and taking pictures of it when this old lady walked up to my table and asked if she could share it with me. I said, "Sure, go ahead!"


She seemed like a nice old lady, the Granny sort and so I asked if she stayed around the area. This started a nice conversation between us. She told me that she was there doing some research on Genealogy. I cleverly asked what kind of "Genes" she was studying, thinking maybe birds or something like that, and then she said, "Family history!" Oh, ok. Now I know what 'Genealogy' means. =P

Anyway, this old lady could trace her ancestry back to the 1700's, when i guess the first white immigrants arrived on boats to Australia. In doing so, she also found many many cousins.

This set me thinking about our roots. My maternal grandmother, your greatgrandmother, once told me that her father wore pigtails and that they were rice farmers in China. Your Ah-Mah tells me that her father had a brother who headed for Thailand instead of coming to Singapore...which means that you may have Thai cousins?

This is the farthest I can get.

Incomplete and quite pathetic.

Perhaps when you are older, we'd take on this project of tracing your 'Jia Pu'. We'd find out where this cute Chinese boy in a Chinese-collared shirt came from. (",)

No comments: